Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Secondary Navigation

Main page Content

Our school

School history

The first Springbrook primary school opened in 1911 with an enrolment of 15 students. Springbrook School was built in the shadows of a New England Blackbutt that was approximately 1,000 years old. A year after the school opened, the tree was declared a threat to the safety of the school and was felled by axe in a morning. It is hard to imagine such a decision being made today!

     

In 1970 enrolment numbers at Springbrook School fell to 4 and the school was closed. The original school building is now the Springbrook National Park Information Centre located on Old School Road.

Springbrook did have a second primary school, Wunburra School, which was open between 1935 and 1942. The Wunburra School building is now located at Mudgeeraba Special School. In 1984 Springbrook State School opened in its present location and children could be schooled on the mountain again. In 2009 we celebrated our 25th year anniversary.

For a more detailed history of Springbrook see 'Springbrook – Where the Clouds Touch the Earth' by Pam Hall.